The Central Highlands Region is once again to schedule the “T20 Just for Girls Competition for the upcoming 2016/17 season.
The Inter-Association based competition (equivalent to the Junior Country Week competition for boys) has been running since 2012/13.
The competitions main focus is for the development of girl’s cricket and providing a positive cricket experience in an “All-Girls” setting.
Competing teams do vie for the Wendy Grey Shield – Wendy being the long-time administrator for female cricket within Ballarat and the Central Highlands Region, who is still the current “Women’s portfolio” Region Board member.
Previously one age group has been catered for, U15 but in 2016/17 the Central Highlands Region is excited to announce that the competition will look to expand to two age groups, U13 and U16 which then provides a greater link to the Cricket Victoria State Championships in which Central Highlands Region teams are selected – U14 Female State Championships and U16 Female State Championships
The Central Highlands “T20 Just for Girls” supports the structure of the Cricket Victoria State Championships Program (formerly known as Pathways Program) and results in a clear pathway for female junior players in the region and provides Associations with a genuine role in the development of these players.
The “T20 Just for Girls” competition has consisted of a day of T20 action in Ballarat in February each year although with the expansion of the competition for 2016/17 this will see matches on an additional day, now over two Sundays - Sunday 19th February 2017 & Sunday 26th February 2017 – to be played at Russell Square and hosted by the East Ballarat CC.
Close to 50 girls have participated in previous year but with the expansion of the competition for 2016/17 we hope this to increase to 80-90 girls participation in the Region wide event.
The associations entering teams include.
- Ballarat Cricket Association
- Castlemaine & District Cricket Association
- Gisborne & District Cricket Association
- Grampians Cricket Association
While girls from –
- Maryborough & District Cricket Association
- Grenville Cricket Association and
- Pyrenees Cricket Association are also involved and placed in teams.
The T20 Just for Girls competition aims to:
- Provide opportunities for female junior cricketers to participate and showcase their skills against other female cricketers within the region
- Assist the development of girl’s cricket within the region
- Promote involvement of female cricket throughout the region
- Provide a positive cricket experience in an “All-Girls” setting
2016/17 T20 Just for Girls Coordinator - Jacinta Goodger-Chandler
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org M: 0484 315 881
Sunday19th February 2017 & Sunday 26th February 2017
Two age groups will be offered for Associations to enter teams - U13 & U16